Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:22:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PnP problem...

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> I have an ASUS motherboard as well (my dual P90).  I'll crack the
> docs tonight that Rod sent with it; it may very well be that I have
> ISA level PnP support as well, unless your board is peculiar.  If so,
> then we're in business (I guess; it's the kind of problem I'd normally
> solve by writing grunge code).

Whether your board has PnP support or not is irrelevant.  If your board
has support then you can just not include the FreeBSD PnP code, and
you're fine.  Or you could just include it and have the FreeBSD PnP code
re-config your PnP devices to your specifications.  The major point of
this is to allow standard ISA motherboards (like mine and Amanico's) to
use PnP peripherals.

All of the grunt work of handling PnP devices at the hardware level is
done--  Amancio and I have been testing the isolation, detecting, and
resource information parts of the code for a week now..  The
configuration code is written, but waiting to be slowly integrated into
my source tree.  The problem now is to not worry about the PnP
specification and all of it's horror (PnP must be Intel's little mutant
cousin[tm] which they locked in the basement)--  The problem is to neatly
fold all of this into FreeBSD.

Sujal