Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:26:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
To:        sobomax@freebsd.org
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, sobomax@freebsd.org, marcus@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome 1.4 desktop totally screwed up

I basically removed all gnome related ports as so many have been
updated, and rebuilt from scratch.  This takes a long time.  I noticed
problems with the desktop and so I removed ~/.gnome.  There were other
problems as noted in my earlier mail, so I am attempting a build from
July 7.

I am starting gnome via the line

gnome-session

in ~/.xsession.

You might try setting up a server to do clean builds - I can't get
gnome to even build half the time anymore.  If you just upgrade the
recent ports manuall or with portupgrade you won't notice missing
dependencies.

I would suggest at least trying a clean build in a 'fresh' jail - you
can test port builds in a jail w/p hosing up your main system - before
checking in huge changes!  I really do appreciate the work on gnome
but portupgrade is not going to catch all of the problems.

I like to keep my ports up to date and don't mind testing, but gnome
can be broken for days at a time - xscreensaver still does not work
properly and hasn't for about a month.

- Mike H.