Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:04:42 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Freek Nossin <freeknossin@planet.nl>
Cc:        dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua, 'Carl Johan Gustavsson' <carl.gustavsson@bahnhofbredband.se>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: partioning failed

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:39:21AM +0200, Freek Nossin wrote:
> Then I tried Carl's advice and bought a 80-connector cable. And amazingly
> enough... It worked!
>
> But I wonder, why is FreeBSD so picky about it? My previous Windows
> installation did not itch a bit. And should this not be documented anywhere
> (or should have, because SATA is the standard nowadays)?

My opinion: because Windows hides a lot of details about
subsystem layers and information coming from the disk subsystem,
particularly the disk subsystem, from the end-user.  This is
ESPECIALLY the case when it comes to DMA-based transfers.
Windows (2K, XP, and 2003 -- it doesn't matter which) tries very
hard to hide such problems.  No matter how much you trust the
Event Log, it all boils down to whether or not the programmer
of the service or the driver chooses to even bother sending a
diagnostic message to the Event Log service.  Of course, the
same could be said of *IX OSes; what if FreeBSD didn't bother
to tell you about those DMA errors?  You probably wouldn't have
mailed freebsd-stable (or if you did, it would've been
regarding bad disk performance).  Understand where I'm coming
from?

I have also seen systems where Linux and FreeBSD report major
disk errors (guaranteed bad blocks as later detected by the
SCSI controller), while under Windows showed absolutely no
signs of problems (until smartctl under Cygwin was used,
which detected an immense number of hardware ECC errors on
write, and reported the drive in "IMMINENT FAILURE" status).

Informing the administrator of problems (by being verbose)
before the system completely fails is a Good Thing, and is one
of the many ad hoc benefits of present-day *IX operating systems
versus Windows.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |