Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:25:22 -0500
From:      Branson Matheson <Branson.Matheson@FergInc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Soundcard weirdness with 4.x

 I have an HP workstation with a builtin AD1816 based soundcard. With
 4.2 it now probes correctly:

 pcm1: <AD1816> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x388-0x38b,0x500-0x50f irq 5 drq
 1,0 on isa0

 but.. 1 out of every 3 mpegs or sounds i send it .. I just get back
 static. I have upgraded and rebuilt my players.. but still same
 problem .. my config file looks like:

 # When used with 'device pcm' they also provide pcm sound services.
 device          pcm0    at isa? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0
 device          pcm

 Not sure which to use as I am not sure wether this card is PNP or not
 .. but it seems to probe correct.

 Anyone else seen this behavior with AD1816 based cards?

  - branson

 PS> LINT should probably be updated to more clearly deliniate the
 difference between pcm and newpcm .. it almost looks like both are
 there and you could use either.