Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:39:14 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum - How long does it take to perform operation X?

Sorry to take so long to get back. Been busy with other things.

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Adam Nealis wrote:
>
> > 3.3-STABLE (as per a cvsup and update from 14 October).
> >
> > Just starting out with vinum, I've read vinum(4) and vinum(8).
> >
> > I'm trying to create a mirrored volume of 2 x 9GB drives.
> >
> > These drives are /dev/da1s1e and /dev/da2s1e, and are
> > pristine, newfs'd volumes. I don't mount them on boot either,
>
>             ^^^^^^
>
> huh?  shouldn't the partition type be set to 'vinum' like in
> the vinum manpage?
Is that vinum(4) or vinum(8)? I can't see anything that mentions
/sbin/mount in either of these man pages.

As an experiment, I tried changing their type to vinum in /etc/fstab,
but mount complained that it couldn't find mount_vinum. I can't
seem to find the source in /usr/src either.

/etc/fstab:

/dev/da1s1e	/mnt/mirror0	vinum	rw	2	2
/dev/da2s1e	/mnt/mirror2	vinum	rw	2	2

This is on a 3.3-STABLE box, based on a cvsup and make world
done on 14th October.

Am I missing something obvious?