Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:52:42 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Phelip Cray" <phelipc@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4.x  - 3.x  - 2.x

Here's a short rundown of stuff that was important to me, keep in
mind that these days FreeBSD is incrementing the major version number
much more rapidly, in the old days they were more conservative.

1.X  First public releases, based on BSD code later ruled "encumbered"
(ie: BSD 4.3)

2.0.X  First major releases based on "unencumbered" code, ie: BSD 4.3 Lite
(in actual practice well over 90% of the code was left alone in
the conversion from encumbered to unencumbered)

2.1.X  Releases finally reached the stability of the 1.X releases.
Probably last release you could tolerate in 4MB of ram.

2.2.X  Major variance included introduction of Divert Sockets (for
natting and ipfw)

3.X  Shredded the SCSI subsystem and replaced it with CAM, broke a lot of
older drivers, (arguably of junky hardware)  introduction of Symmectric
Multiprocessing.  Last releases to support ESDI disks.

4.X  many new drivers, reworked VM system, vinum, softupdates, brought back
a few old favorites (like the Adaptec 1520 driver)