Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:36:33 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dummynet not working

BSD Freak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to dummynet but I have read
> the man page and lots more about it. Basically the situation is this:
> We have a FreeBSD 4.5R router (with dummynet compiled in the kernel)
> running a 64Kbps ISDN line to another site. The line is usually
> saturated making access very slow and unreliable for some hosts on the
> network. We have one host (192.168.0.50) on the network that is
> particularly important and which requires priority access. So I added
> the following rules, but this does not seem to help:
>
> ipfw pipe 1 config bw 64Kbit/s
> ipfw queue 1 config pipe 1 weight 90
> ipfw queue 2 config pipe 1 weight 1
> ipfw add 400 queue 1 tcp from 192.168.0.50 to any
> ipfw add 500 queue 2 ip from any to any
>

> What am I doing wrong?

I delayed posting this because I'm not sure this answer is correct.

I think you need to have both in and out traffic handled or your
priority won't work, because outgoing traffic will be at higher
prioriy, but incomming will be relegated to the lower priority,
thus your overall priority won't be improved any.
Maybe something like:
ipfw pipe 1 config bw 64Kbit/s
ipfw queue 1 config pipe 1 weight 90
ipfw queue 2 config pipe 1 weight 1
ipfw add 400 queue 1 tcp from 192.168.0.50 to any
ipfw add 450 queue 1 tcp from any to 192.168.0.50
ipfw add 500 queue 2 ip from any to any

See if that helps.  And again, I'm not sure I have the right answer
for you, so take it with a grain of salt.
Also, make sure the traffic you're trying to prioritize is travelling
on tcp, if not, it will be running at the lower priority.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies