Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 20:22:18 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Scott MacFiggen <smurf@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Matthew Stein <matt@bdd.net>, Scott MacFiggen <smurf@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NExGen chip Nx586-100

At 12:57 PM -0500 6/12/96, Scott MacFiggen wrote:
>I did get the FPU version so that is not a problem.
>The problem is that I had a 486-50 so my
>kernel is currently configured for a 486 hence it
>won't boot on a 386 it seems.

Any chance you left kernel.GENERIC or kernel.old or such laying around from
the original release? You could boot to it from the boot manager and all
would be well again. Else boot the boot floppy, and maybe the root floppy,
then take the fixit floppy option, and you might be able to move one of
those kernels to your hd root to get the system running again.

>Although I d know Linux has a patch to let it take advantage of
>nexgens cache on steriods, does FreeBSD have something similar?

I looked at the Linux patch for NexGen and didn't find any similar code in
the FreeBSD kernel. To optimize an Nx586 to 100% of its potential for
FreeBSD one would need proper documentation from NexGen as to exactly what
they offer.

The Linux NexGen patch can be found at http://www.cantrip.org/ncm.html

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net