Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 18:13:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        APRIM@mv3900.svl.photronics.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Errors

APRIM@mv3900.svl.photronics.com writes:

> Hi,
> My name is Aprim and recently started taking UNIX class.
> As my instuctor recommended I purchased FREEBSD CDs to have'm
> installed in my 486-33MHz computer. Today is the forth week that I
> have been trying.  I also been calling Tech Support more than 15
> times, asking them questions.  Anyway, David from Tech Support gave me
> your E-mail address so I can briefly mail all the installation
> problems I have.  Here they are:
>

> I went through changing my hardware so CDROM can be recognize by
> FreeBSD which couldn't at beginning.  I had 1 DOS Partition (1.6 GB
> H.D) which had to delete it so I can make another Partition for
> FreeBSD (made 300MB).  To make it short, for two weeks tried to use
> installation from CDROM using Tech Support help finally I quit on that
> and decided to do it Using DOS Partition.

Did it give you any error messages?  It would be interesting to hear
what the problem was.

> I made the directory FreeBSD under C: and copied /BIN files.
> I also later on copied /FLOPPIES files per Tech Support.
> Booted up to FreeBSD installation menu, in FDISK Partitioning deleted
> Extended Partition and created FreeBSD, used A (AUTO) in labeling,
> selected "Wd0s1" (DOS Partition) and proceeded by selecting install
> from DOS Partition.
>

> It began doing some stuff and than came up with following error
> messages:
>
> €1- Write failure on transfer /BIN distribution from Wd0s1 (wrote 1€
> €Byte)€
> €Following by ENTER key, rapidly displayed the below message.€
> €2- /mnt: create/symlink failed, no inodes free€.

This text is corrupted (it contains \200 characters).  But it looks as
the file system may have been full after all.  What size did you make
it?

> Since I had enough capacity on my H.D, copied all the files from CDROM
> to FreeBSD directory to be safe if there is file missing, but still
> didn't work I had same error messages displayed.

It looks as if you haven't made your file system big enough.  I also
strongly suspect that you've placed it beyond the 504 MB limit.  This
won't stop you installing, you just probably won't be able to boot
once you finished the installation.

There's lots of information in the handbook, and even more in
"Installing and Running FreeBSD", available from Walnut Creek.

> Please contact me today if you can at:  (page me if am not on my desk)
> Tel: (408) 629-8900
> Pager: (408) 233-1879

There may be some kind people who will call you on the phone, but
remember that it costs money and people give you this support out of
the kindness of their hearts.  Don't ask them to pay money as well.

Greg