Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 21:14:19 -0400
From:      "MikeM" <MyRaQ@mgm51.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Steadily increasing memory usage on a lightly loaded server

On 5/9/2002 at 5:04 PM Matthew Dillon wrote:
|:
|:   What this means is that FreeBSD will not try very hard to separate
|:   out dirty pages (inactive queue) from clean pages (cache queue) when
|:   the system is not being stressed, nor will it try to deactivate
|:   pages (active queue -> inactive queue) when the system is not being
|:   stressed, even if they are not being used.
|:
|:
|:My interpretation is that the inactive queue does not really hold pages
|:that are "dirty but not recently referenced" but rather pages that are
|:"possibly dirty and not recently referenced", while the cache queue
|:holds pages that are known not to be dirty.
|:This probably means that under a normal load most of the pages in the
|:inactive queue are not in fact dirty.
|:
|:<Insert your favourite quote here.>
|:Erik Trulsson
|:ertr1013@student.uu.se
|
|    You are correct.  If the system is not being stressed you can wind
|    up with a large number of pages marked 'active' which are really
|    inactive, and a large number of pages marked 'inactive' which are
|    really cache.  The original posting had this:
|
|    Mem: 23M Active, 618M Inact, 69M Wired, 40M Cache, 86M Buf, 1328K Free
|
|    This looks like a fairly unstressed system to me.  The actual
|    definitions for the page queues are:
|    [snip]
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Correct, the system is very lighted loaded.

The second part of my original question, which has been overlooked in these=
 most excellent discussions, is why am I seeing this only recently.  Let me=
 explain the series of events that led up to my decision to post my=