Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:46:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@lix.intercom.es>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd9660: /dev/wcd0c: Invalid argument

On 21-Sep-98 Doug White wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta wrote:
>
>>         Hi all,
>>
>>         The error message in the subject is what I get when I issue,
>> as root:
>>
>>         mount /cdrom
>>
>>         A command like
>>
>>         mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/wcd0c /<dir>
>>
>> returns the same message. The relevant line in /etc/fstab reads:
>>
>> /dev/wcd0c    /cdrom      cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>>
>>         The curious thing is that I am actually able to install from
>> the cdrom unit using /stand/sysinstall, and the cdrom is correctly
>> mounted under /dist when I leave the utility without installing
>> any packages.
>
> Well, the system has issues with /dev/wcd0c.  DOes it exist?  Do you have
> an ATAPI CDROM drive?  Does it have a ISO9660 encoded CD in it?

su-2.02# mount /cdrom
cd9660: /dev/wcd0c: Invalid argument
su-2.02# ls -l /dev/wcd0*
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   19,   0 Sep 20 12:23 /dev/wcd0a
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   19,   2 Sep 20 12:23 /dev/wcd0c

        /dev/wcd0c does exist. The unit is certainly an ATAPI one
that, as I said, used to be mountable in this machine at least
under 2.2.1R, and maybe also under the current 2.2.7R early
this month. What I mean is that it stopped being mountable, but
I cannot relate it to anything I might have done to the system.
And the CD inside is one of the 4 CDROMs package that came with
Greg's book. Ok, ok, it was not that obvious.

> Your kernel config is nice, but the output of `dmesg' would be more
> helpful.

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <V006E0DS/6V001-2.>, removable, iordy
wcd0: 1033/61767Kb/sec, 58864Kb cache, audio play, 30921 volume levels,
ejectable caddy
wcd0: no disc inside, unlocked

(there was really no disc inside at boot time )

        Ditto. dmesg looks hypernice to me also. Though, now that
I think of it, 58864Kb cache looks a bit out of this world ?

> Doug White
> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | www.freebsd.org

                                                Manuel Garcia