Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:06:46 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing to ISO-images mounted as vnodes?

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 10:13:10PM +0100, dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl wrote:
> While I was thinking how to make a bootable DOS-CD (the floppies for
> sale now just aren't as reliable as they used to be), I thought of the
> following strategy:
>
>  - copy the ISO-image of my Win98 install-CD (AFAIK that's legal if you
>    own the CD).
>  - configure the image as a vnode (vnconfig).
>  - mount the vnode (mount_cd9660).
>  - remove the files that are not needed (the ones that install Win98)
>    from the mounted vnode; just leaving a DOS boot-CD with just a little
>    more useful utilities than would fit on a floppy...
>
> Unfortunately, mounting the vnode as cd9660 mounts it read-only, and
> I couldn't find a way to mount it "rw" (-o rw doesn't seem to help).

I was thinking about something similair a couple of weeks ago, to
make it easy for me to arrange files on a cdrom ISO image. Unfortunatly
the write-routines for the cd9660 driver are non-existent.

Did sound nice, just create a 650Mb file, mount it, copy some files
into it, unmount it and ready to burn.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org