Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 2000 14:31:00 +0100
From:      John Toon <j.a.toon@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SHMSEG and general shared memory settings

Hi,

Could I suggest that the generic kernel be changed from having a
SHMSEG=9 (as in LINT) to something higher?

This setting is totally useless if you're planning on running XFre86-4.0
with something like GNOME; you simply run out of shared memory segments,
and consequently many programs just won't start up, issuing "X error of
failed request". The SHMSEG setting is also one of the "undocumented"
options in LINT, so consequently it was hard work trying to solve the
problem.

I have since compiled my custom kernel with SHMSEG=1024, and everything
works beautifully.

--
"I'm entirely unaccountable for any moments of sanity contained herein."
:s/Windows/UNIX