Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Puri <natepuri@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1-RC--APM, pccardd, & IPSec

Hi all,

I just upgraded my 4.0-RELEASE laptop to 4.1-RC.  I
had hoped the following problems would have been
fixed.  Since their not, I'm hoping you all can help.

1.  I have apm compiled in from the following config
line:
	device  apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 #
Advanced Power Management.

Suspend and resume seem to work fine.  But apmd does
not start even though I have it in /etc/rc.conf. When
I start it from the command line, 'ps ax | grep apmd'
does not show that it is running.  So wmapm will not
work, and this is somewhat important to me.

2.  wmpccard will not start even though pccardd is
running.  ps ax | grep pccardd shows this...
47 ?? Is 0:00.05 pccardd -f /etc/pccard.conf.sample.
wmpccard will exit from the command line and say
'sendto() failed, No such file or directory:
/var/tmp/.pccardd \ pccardd doesn't seem to be
running'

3.  Where can I read about doing ipsec connections?  I
know about something called racoon, but I can't
install it from ports because it says I need to
upgrade my OS to have libipsec.so.1, and I only have
libipsec.so.0.

Any and all advice and help will be much appreciated.
Is there still a lot of work to do on 4.x to make it
'stable'?  Why do some things seem yet to be
implemented?

-nate