Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:50:46 -0600
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP with VIA chipset system lockups

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 06:45:49PM +0100, Christophe Prévotaux wrote:
> I have a similar problem with a ASUS CUV4X-DLS
> Dual CPU motherboard it is using VIA CHIPSET
> as well and I have lockups , the system
> freezes but I am still able to ping the machine
> this is very strange , however nothing else works
>
> I have no problems running these machine in single
> CPU mode but when I run SMP it does have freezing
> problems
>
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:28:04 +0100
> Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se> wrote:
>
> > I have been running a dual processor machine for about three months. It is
> > based on a Microstar 694 motherboard with VIA chipsets (see attached).
> >
> > I started with 4.4-stable  and went through 4.5RC to 4.5 stable. Since a
> > couple of weeks or so (don't know exactly) I'm having regular lockups with
> > SMP kernels. and because the system freezes completely I see no traces as to
> > what is going on. The only way to recover is to pull the plug.
> >
> > I would be most grateful for information on a) how to try to find out what is
> > happening and b) if anybody else have similar problems.
> >
> > Same machine with GENERIC kernel do not exhibit any problems.
>

> GENERIC is not using SMP

Responding to ping means that _something_ is alive, deep down
inside the IP stack. Have you tried to telnet in?

I just ordered a TYAN Tiger 2505 last night; I'll put it in over
the weekend and see what happens with it. IIRC, it also uses the
VIA chipset. I tend to run one copy of Setiathome per processor,
and so the processors are never really idle.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea@mikea.ath.cx