Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:28:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        victha@seychelles.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need help to configure Vinum on

On Wednesday, 30 May 2001 at  9:50:56 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> Jude Adeline wrote:
>> i am setting up this new server and i want to run disk mirroring on it
>> in case of a disk failure on the first disk. I have read some of the
>> vinum configuration on the internet but its all a bit too obscure for
>> me. This is the set up i need.
>
> If you've read everything at www.vinumvm.org and it still seems obscure,
> I would suggest that you DON'T use vinum on a production system until it
> starts to seem clear. If you don't understand what you are doing, you'll
> have nothing but trouble, and if a drive crashes you won't understand
> how to fix it anyway.
> Hopefully you have an old (non production) computer somewhere that you
> can experiment with. Create some vinum volumes there first until you're
> familiar with the procedure.
>
>> disk 1 (da1)
>>
>> /                    100Mb        /dev/da1a
>> /home            2000Mb     /dev/da1f
>> /usr                1000Mb    /dev/da1h
>> /var                1000Mb    /dev/da1e
>> /usr/local        2000Mb    /dev/da1g
>> /tmp/                512Mb    /dev/da1d
>> swap                524Mb    /dev/da1k
>>
>> i want to mirror the above on disk 2 (da2)
>
> If da1 and da2 are identical drives, the easiest procedure is probably:
> 1. backup all data (this is the most important step - you WILL be
> destroying all your data)
> 2. Use disklabel to change partitions to type "vinum"
> 3. use disklabel to duplicate the partition table on da1 onto da2
> 4. create a config file, and use it to define the vinum devices-
> example:
>
> drive d1f device /dev/da1f
> drive d2f device /dev/da2f
> ... (define other devices)

No.  If you only have two disks, you have all the devices you need.

> volume homemirror
>  plex org concat
>   sd drive d1f size 0
>  plex org concat
>   sd drive d2f size 0

If you want more than one subdisk per spindle, you need to specify the
sizes here (the sizes you mention above), not 0.

> ... (define other volumes)
>
> 5. Run vinum(8) and use the create command to create volumes from your
> config file
> 6. Restore your data

There are ways around having to do a backup.  I've published them in
rudimentary form several times; one of these days I'll get around to a
proper description.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.