Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 21:25:34 +0100
From:      wcp@luppolo.lpds.sublink.org (Walter C. Pelissero)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hybrid configuration: named problem

I'm trying to configure my FreeBSD box as a gateway to an ISP but I
don't want to depend on that ppp link for mail and news. I already
have a fast uucp link with another provider. In other words I need to
be able to use my LAN, resolving my internal names as usual,
forwarding all my mail through my uucp link and sometime be able to
surf the Internet resolving names outside my domain.

The iijppp link is set up properly and filtering is done such as DNS
packets don't make the daemon dial. What is difficult to me is how to
configure named. The root.cache file points to three DNS hosts on the
provider domain.  If I start named without the -r option all my mail
gets queued forever and some services become slow (very slow), but all
works well when the ppp link with my ISP is up. If I start named with
the -r option my LAN works well but I'm unable to resolve any host
name outside my domain also if the ppp link is up.

Then, how can I make my LAN and my Internet link live together?

Thanks in advance.