Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2010 06:33:22 +0530
From:      Subhro Kar <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Keusch <fwd@bsd-solutions-duesseldorf.de>, Luca Renaud <renaud.luca@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Get access to csh (default freebsd shell) for root to solve login problem.

--Apple-Mail-1--663108131

On 04-Jul-2010, at 9:48 PM, Thomas Keusch wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 05:02:59PM +0100, Luca Renaud wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
>> The root shell is now bash,but I was unaware that bash was not
>> self-contained(it depends at least of libintl.so.8),
>> and doing some upgrades with ports I erased libintl.so.8,now I cannot =
access
>> the root account because bash is
>> not operational and I need root access to install again =
libintl.so.8,or any
>> other way to solve the problem.
>> So,how can I get access to csh for root without having access to a =
root
>> shell(the previously defined bash does
>> not work,and I need root access to change the shell for the root =
acount).
>=20
> if you haven't activated the 'toor' account (another UID 0 account =
besides
> root), you'll have to boot from fixit media (or another live cd / =
system) and
> go from there.

I think that would be an overkill. =46rom the su(1) manpage,=20

     -m      Leave the environment unmodified.  The invoked shell is =
your
             login shell, and no directory changes are made.  As a =
security
             precaution, if the target user's shell is a non-standard =
shell
             (as defined by getusershell(3)) and the caller's real uid =
is non-
             zero, su will fail.

So, you could use su -m to switch to root and remain in the same shell =
as your user calling su. Once there, AFAIK, you could use vipw(8) or =
chsh(1) to change the root shell back to csh.

Thanks
Subhro

--
Subhro Kar