Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 05:26:46 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        "Tim Parkinson" <tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What do people on the list use FreeBSD for?

I dunno, I'm just having fun learning right now.  I'm thinking of the
learning process as "7 circles" of gurudom :-)... I recently entered the
first circle by  installing and configuring FreeBSD, and getting X-Windows
up and running nicely.  Now I'm working on the 2nd circle, compiling my
first custom kernel.  Once I reach the 7th circle, I will leave my body and
enter the Universal Net Godhood, those souls who were once Unix gurus and
have vanished to higher planes of existence. ;-)

But seriously... once I get the system up and running, I plan to try and
get it networked via Ethernet with Win95 and TCP/IP (3rd circle).  I plan
to play games on it, mess around with various X servers, add new stuff,
etc.  Learning Unix pays off in the business world bigtime, and although I
have nothing really serious to use it for on my home machine (it's on a
second PC actually that I use as a testbed for OS's and software - my main
PC is Win95 only and remains stable (as stable as Win95 gets, anyway)), I
will soon be starting a PC upgrade/repair/build business and offering
FreeBSD as an optional free OS on new systems (otherwise, the customer will
have to buy their own).  Therefore, I should know it like the back of my
hand (nobody wants to pay $50/hr. install fees to a newbie ;-)

I've tried two of the 'Linuces' (Debian and Slackware) and so far I prefer
FreeBSD, although it has just about as steep a learning curve as any Unix
if you want to really do anything with it.  It makes it easier for newbies
though in most areas than many of the 'Linuces' (Linux) do.

One thing I really hate about it are parts of the sysinstall procedure.
Adding anything once the system is installed can be a real serious pain in
the tail, and upgrading can mess your entire system up.  This area needs a
lot of work still (compare it to the Win95 or NT install, for example).