Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 98 11:02:23 PST
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Leased line - SLIP or PPP?

Good time of day all.

I have some problems with the connection of our LAN
(3 Ethernet segments) to ISP's backbone.
The connection is:

 486DX2/66  +---+    leased line     +---+  486DX4/100
 16MB       | A |--------------------| B |  8MB
 3*3C509B   +---+     ca. 1 km       +---+  3C509B
 FreeBSD    ST16550                 16550A  FreeBSD
 SLIP                 MTU=296               SLIP

Modems used are 115.2 kbps asynchronous ones without
hardware flow control/buffering.

When point B was Cisco's 2514 AUX port, speed was 38.4 kbps
only, but SLIP worked fine (netstat reported from 1e-4 to 1e-3
of errors on input).

But then we decided to change B to PC router to increase
speed to 115.2.

Now I'm getting from 10% to 20% of errors on input packets,
but the worst is that connection acts with large delays.

Looks like the line is rather noisy and the system spend much
time retransmitting bad packets. As I recall, such a behaviour
was mentioned in RFC1055 as a "feature" of SLIP (am I wrong?).

Questions:
1. How can I introduce some error correction / flow control
   in this situation?
2. If 1 is not possible, will the replacement of SLIP
   with PPP be helpful?

Note that it is not possible to change hardware/line
in the near future, so I must play only with software.

I suspect this is RTFM, but I'm quite new with UNIX
and possibly you can give me some tips or pointers
about SLIP or PPP usage over leased lines?

Thank you for your time,
Igor

Sorry for my poor English