Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:56:51 +1000
From:      Greg Black <freebsd@mail.gbch.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can we resurrect linux-firefox-1.5 ?

On 2007-01-16, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> The 1.5.x version _is_ working for me. It is 2.0.x that
> exhibits severe problems.

I was surprised and annoyed when I found that the reasonably reliable
1.5.x version had been replaced by 2.0, partly because I expected it to
be less reliable and partly because some of the extensions I used no
longer worked and partly because the user interface had some changes I
didn't like.

However, it has been my experience in the 6+ weeks I've been using it
that 2.0 is better in every way than 1.5 and it is certainly more stable
and works better with the flash plugin (something I hate but just have
to use).

I know that's not going to fix your problem, but I'd be interested to
see if you could get to a working setup with 2.0 by running it with a
limited set of extensions.  Initially, I was cross about some issues
with my once-favourite extension (session-manager or some similar name),
but now that I've used the builtin session recovery capability, I no
longer need that extension.  The only extensions I have in my 2.0 setup
now are Adblock Plus, NoScript and Smart Middle Click and it has been
exemplary in its behaviour -- i.e., it has crashed twice in 6 weeks and
it is running 24 hours a day with at least 5 windows and 50 or more tabs
open at all times.  And it recovered all the open tabs fine after the
two crashes.

Cheers, Greg