Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 14:26:38 -0500
From:      "Justin W. Pauler" <jwpauler@jwpages.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Emmanuel Gravel" <egravel@earthlink.net>
Subject:   Re: Increasing network performance

If you are looking for a general NIC that is good quality and has good
speed, maybe just try a generic NE2000 NIC. I have two NE2000's in my
machine:

    Pentium 66mhz
    20MB RAM
    FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE

They took a little bit of tweaking in the kernel, to get the interrupt/io
port right, but after I did they run very smoothly. I have one NIC connected
to all the printers in my house and one NIC connected to all the machines. I
get excellent speeds across both sides and haven't had a hiccup yet.

These two btw are the following:

ed0 at port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xd8000 irq 3 on isa0
ed0: address 00:40:05:14:c7:2c, type NE2000 (16 bit)

They are both just a simple 16 bit card, but I get excellent transfer rates.

Justin W. Pauler