Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:56:26 -0700
From:      Bohdan Tashchuk <tashchuk@easystreet.com>
To:        Byron Young <bkyoung@jps.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Applying bind8 port

I'm just a FreeBSD newbie, so I can't tell you why your build failed.

But I can tell you that I successfully built Bind 8.2.1 on FreeBSD 3.3
release without any problems. The best I can do is tell you what I did
and how it differs from what you did.

1) Target machine was an old P100 with limited disk space, so I don't
have ports installed. I followed directions in The Complete FreeBSD book
to unpack the specific package from the tarball on the CD. I also had to
unpack the Mk package, that's not stated clearly.

2) I used the script command ahead of time, so I now have a better record
of what happened. This is what allows me to tell you what I did.

3) I allowed the make procedure to FTP the files directly from ftp.isc.org

4) I have a firewall installed (in fact the FreeBSD machine IS my firewall
machine) so I had to add

	setenv FTP_PASSIVE_MODE yes

before I typed make. I also had to add a $fwcmd rule to allow FTP from
ftp.isc.org to me.

5) my "diffs" didn't try to patch as much as yours did. In particular my
diffs didn't try to patch the getpwent.c file that yours failed with.
I think that either the ports tarball you are using is out of date or
the starting src files are. Here is the relevant snippet from my efforts:

===>  Extracting for bind-8.2.1
>> Checksum OK for bind-src.tar.gz.
>> Checksum OK for bind-doc.tar.gz.
===>  Patching for bind-8.2.1
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for bind-8.2.1
Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- src/port/freebsd/Makefile.set.orig Mon Jun 16 23:30:35 1997
|+++ src/port/freebsd/Makefile.set      Tue Nov 25 18:51:41 1997
--------------------------
Patching file src/port/freebsd/Makefile.set using Plan A...
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 18.
done
Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- doc/man/Makefile.orig  Fri Mar 14 04:43:51 1997
|+++ doc/man/Makefile   Mon Jan  5 14:03:46 1998
--------------------------
Patching file doc/man/Makefile using Plan A...
Hunk #1 succeeded at 52.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 105.
done
===>  Configuring for bind-8.2.1
===>  Building for bind-8.2.1

6) You are being hopelessly optimistic by de-configuring named in your
rc.conf and then rebooting. It is an unfortunate fact that this version
of bind installs itself into /usr/local and so won't overwrite existing
binaries. Someone on this list responded to my complaint about where the
files were put by telling me:

 To start the new named, add the following to /etc/rc.conf.local:

 named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
 named_flags="-c /etc/namedb/named.conf -u bind -g bind"
 named_enable="YES"

 Regards

 Udo Schweigert              || Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
 Siemens AG, Siemens CERT    || Fax        : +49 89 636 41166
 ZT IK 3                     || email      : Udo.Schweigert@mchp.siemens.de
 D-81730 Muenchen / Germany  ||            : ust@cert.siemens.de

7) The advice given in #6 makes a lot of sense and is less work. But I
chose
to not follow it, because it bugs me that all the old binaries were lying
around and I had to be careful about path to avoid the old ones. So in
/var/db
there is a log of what files were added. I found all the old binaries and
moved
them to *.old. Eg, I now have a /usr/sbin/named.old and
/usr/local/sbin/named.
I haven't updated the manuals this way yet, because it's not immediately
obvious that the latest port has all the latest manuals. For example, when
diffed them I saw some typos fixed in the old version but not in the new.

8) If you don't set the -c flag as shown in item #6 you will need to create
/etc/named.conf instead as that is the compiled default, which differs from
the old version.

9) I actually typed

	make
	make install
	make post-install

I divined this last step from perusing the makefile. It seems to do some
cleanup and some additional "install". I'm not sure if it's needed or if
I made things worse, but I did it anyway. I didn't see any documentation
about what that step does.

10) This is the most important part. The old bind 8.1.2 that comes with
FreeBSD 3.3 Release seemed to occasionally ignore requests from my internal
net. It would see the request from the internal net, ask the outside world
(forward only), see the response, and then forget to tell the internal net
until 5 seconds later when internal net timed out and asked again.

The new bind 8.2.1 doesn't have this bug and has been wonderful.

Hope this helps.

Bohdan Tashchuk