Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:24:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Holger Lamm <holger@eit.uni-kl.de>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv: Video grabbing patch

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Randall Hopper wrote:

> Holger Lamm:
>  |I'm just experimenting with video grabbing by fxtv.
>  |Seems that mpegaudio doesn't like sox's AIFF output:
>  |(apart from another mpegaudio problem I reported to their maintainer):

> See Appendix A of:
>      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fxtv/README

Aah! Let's try that.

> [mpeg-musicin port] I will say that patch-ab looks pretty fishy:
>
>      +CFLAGS += -DTABLES_PATH=\"${PREFIX}/share/mepgaudio/tables\"
>                                                 ^^^^
>                                                ?  Huh

That is what I called "another problem I reported to their maintainer".

>  |The scripts mentions the sox parameters "-s -w" as "Hack to force 16-bit
>  |signed (PCM driver)", but it seems that it doesn't work.
>  |Ever had problems with that?
>
> How do you mean doesn't work.
That it does not generate output mpeg_musicin likes.
>                              Did you have to remove -s -w in addition to
> making the WAV change, or does it work with the -s -w in there and the WAV
> change?
I only changed to WAV, yes.

> ...and maybe there's a better MPEG video encoder than mpeg_encode (?).
MPEG I has acceptable quality for low processor speed, although
mpeg_encode is not very quick (ffmpeg captures MPEG-I on the fly,
unfortunately only under Linux.) For offline capture and archieving
purpose, maybe avifile would be nice, but it does not read raw frames..

Holger