Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 18:34:37 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

Dennis > When ever did i say that? I suggested that the benefits offered by
Dennis > pppij be added to pppd so that the kernel level ppp could be used.

Nate >And those benefits offered in ijppp vs. kernel ppp that you want would
Nate >be?  Having used both, the only features that it can do which I feel
Nate >should go in the kernel is 'Predictor-1' compression.  All of the others
Nate >don't belong in the kernel.  What features do you want, because there
Nate >must be something else you wouldn't be clamoring for them.

> you're obviously not qualified to have an opinion on the matter.

*laugh*  Obviously, when you have nothing valid to say, cheap shots
suffice.

> But weve
> been through  this before. The fact that you think predictor-1 belongs
> anywhere is much evidence....(BTW....not a bad way to save memory...
> trash predictor-1!)

Predictor-1 is used by almost all PPP implementations, and
*significantly* improves throughput at little to no cost.  Gee, Dennis,
I suppose you have something much better and works with everyone else's
product, don't you.

[ MorningStar's success ]

> It just happens to be the only supported product on the market. Look
> at FTP software in the 80s. They had a TERRIBLE TCP/IP product (still
> do)...but it was the only one around.....helps sales a lot! Plus
> they're selling to an ignorant market (like you).

Again, why use facts when personal attacks work *so* much better.  I'm
obviously up against someone who understands this so well that he
doesn't understand why his modem won't answer the phone line.  Nor,
could you figure out why you had to set the speed in the modem even
though it was an 'internal modem' with it's own UARTS.

MorningStar's product is one of the better products I've used.  The
documentation is much better than anything I've seen, it's easy to
setup, and once it's setup you never have to touch it again.

It's used to replace the PPP implementation in alot of OS's because it
*is* better.

You've have consistantly shown that you really don't know as much as you
think you do, but you do like to complain alot.  In spite of that, I've
tried to help you in private, but it doesn't seem to matter.  I find it
hard to recommend folks buying hardware from someone who is so quick to
jump to conclusions about things he doesn't know about, and who has
shown a lack of understanding in very simple communication ideas.

Nate