Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:17:46 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making an image for a cd

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, John J. Paner wrote:

> You probably have seen my posts for help in setting up a fbsd router.
>
> While I know that a flash mem setup would be ideal, I am not at that point
> yet.  I have decided it would be easiest if I could boot from a CD image
> that I have made with the needed files on it (I could keep the conf files
> on the floppy drive).
>
> Here is the question.  How can I make an image of a setup on a hard drive
> so that it can be burned on a cd?   I have a CDR on a windows machine and
> was thinking that a program like rawrite would do nicely.

The problem is if you do it this way, it's not "spin during boot only"
media. It will spin up whenever you need to load a new app or utility.
You've effectively got a less efficient read-only HD which defeats the
purpose of reliability...

What you can do instead is to use MFS which is a memory filing system -
the kernel either contains the complete MFS image or you can copy part of
the image after initial boot, into the MFS slice.

You use a minimal FreeBSD system which only has the functionality you
need. It can be done in less than 1.5Mb (eg PicoBSD) but to be more
comfortable you'd probably be looking at about 5Mb.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/
Sensation Internet Services                    http://www.sensation.net.au/