Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 19:31:14 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Glen Overby <overby@rrnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFS

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Glen Overby wrote:
> tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert) flamed:
> > I have talked to SGI's chief scientist about the license,
>
> SGI is afraid of competitors (Sun, HP, etc) porting XFS to their own
> proprietary OS.  In a sick sort of way, the GPL protects SGI from
> that.  You won't see a non-GPL XFS coming from SGI.  Sorry.

There is a nice license comparison from the point of view
of game theory on the following URL.  This might explain
the reason behind licensing decisions being made by some
businesses.

http://www2.fastdial.net/~drysdam/essays/GPL-as-strategy.html

> BTW, thanks for sending out this flame.  It reminded me why I
> stopped trying to do contribute to FreeBSD years ago.

I wonder how much of the cultural difference between BSD and
Linux is due to licensing ...

(and no, personally I don't care about the particular license;
_my_ gains are in the fact that I can program on stuff I think
is cool and get paid for it .. and that I can freely exchange
my ideas with others)

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/		http://www.surriel.com/