Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:17:26 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, nwestfal@directvinternet.com, keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, dave@jetcafe.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:19:30 -0400
Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The Roman Catholic church at one point decided to put together an
> "official" bible,  this was begun during the First Nicene Council, the > process was called the canonization of the bible.  At the time there
> were hundreds of gospels and assorted "books of the bible".  The most
> common form of the New Testament was put together in like 367 AD, by I
The Kesubim in the Tanakh ("Old Testement"), however, was completely sealed (The Torah and the Prophets (Nevi'im) were sealed much earlier) by the Sanhedrin in 90 CE in Yavneh. (If xtians think the Sanhedrin, rather than wise sages, were a den of deicidal vipers then why do Protestants accept *their* canonization? :-) )

The major criterias were consistency of the book with the rest of the
canon and availability of a Hebrew text. (The latter consideration
eliminated the Apocrypha because those texts were only in Greek. This
consideration distinguished on age; sealing the canon to a time shortly
after the return from Babelonian exile, a reasonable criteria assuming that prophecy ended with the destruction of the first Beis Hamikdash.)