Date:      11 Oct 2002 13:01:36 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>, "Jamie Heckford" <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling a New Kernel

"Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> writes:

> > From: "Jamie Heckford" <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>
> > Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:11:30 +0100
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > Bizarre.... how could it be different/not work if you have cvsup'd all of your sources including sys/ tree at exactly the same time,
> > and compile your kernel just after the installworld?
> >
> > There has to be something im missing here, feel free to humiliate me with an in depth explanation ;)

> Jamie,
>
> Please do not top post!
>
> When you build a new world (make buildworld), none of the new tools
> that have been built are installed. So any kernel built with this
> system will attempt to use the existing tools.
>
> If something critical to building the kernel, say the .mk files or
> compiler, have been updated and the kernel Makefile has been modified
> to work with the new .mk files, any attempt to build the kernel with
> existing, installed tools is doomed to failure.
>
> The magic of make in /usr/src is that make will modify its environment
> to use the new, uninstalled tools and .mk files. So changes in the
> tools used to build the kernel can break the "old" style of kernel
> build, but the "make kernel" method will always work.

The other thing that Jamie Heckford seems to have missed is that one
should be building your new kernel *before* the installworld.  In
fact, the approved upgrade procedure is to *reboot* under the *new*
kernel *before* doing the installworld.  After you have installed both
the new kernel and the new userland, it *is* safe to use the "old
method" of building kernels.  As long as the sources don't get
touched, anyway.