Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 1996 15:26:04 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        root@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorting Incoming Mail

> Now that's cool Zach, then you get threads too.  Another reason for
> emacs.

Indeed! (BTW did you know there's an Emacs for VMS?)

> What I don't quite get is subscribing to different groups under
> different names--e.g., instead of subscribing to doc as andrsn@
> andrsn.stanford.edu, I'd subscribe as fdocs@andrsn.stanford.edu,
> create a user (without a valid shell or some such, so even if the
> user had a password it would never need to be used) named fdocs,

It's probably a good idea to put an asterisk in the password field
if you want to prevent anyone from logging in as that user. (Not
strictly necessary if they have an invalid shell, but a useful extra
precaution).

> and then use procmail to sort all mail to fdocs into the
> appropriate folder/file in /usr/home/andrsn.  Is that how people
> do it?

I'm too lazy to learn how to use procmail, and I keep meaning to get
around to setting up GNUS. At the moment, I just log in as each
pseudo-user and read their mail, but Zach's posting has inspired me to
have a go at finally sorting this out.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk