Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:47:25 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        louie@TransSys.COM, listsub@rambo.simx.org, tlambert2@mindspring.com, leifn@neland.dk
Subject:   Mail subsystem defaults, adding authentication.

[Those CC:ed, you send me mail in a freebsd-hackers discussion late
last year.]

[I am not on freebsd-arch, please keep me in CC's.]

Short form:

  I believe it is important for FreeBSD's default install to either
  make it easy, or default to a setup that allows SMTP AUTH against
  the password file.  To do this we need to include a SASL library.
  As such, I would like a SASL library in the base distribution.

Long form:

  FreeBSD already supports STMP over SSL in the default install
  (if the user creates keys).  There is a port for imap-ssl that
  works quite well, plus there is no imap in the default install.
  To provide secure, e-mail (sending and receiving) you need a
  download protocol that is encrypted (imap-ssl), and a sending
  protocol (SMTP AUTH) that prevents relaying.  Since SMTP AUTH
  does not require non-cleartext passwords, doing SMTP AUTH over
  SSL is a good idea.

  SMTP AUTH checks a userid and password.  To my knowledge, sendmail
  only supports using SASL to perform this function.  We have SASL
  libraries in a port.  If they are installed, a few flags can be
  changed so "make world" builds a sendmail that has SASL support.
  If the SASL port were installed as part of the base system, these
  flags could be the default.

  Since all major e-mail clients support IMAP/SSL and SMTP AUTH
  (usually over SSL, if IMAP/SSL is supported) this seems the right
  combination for a fully secure, non-open relay configuration.

So, I would like comments on the following issues:

1) Is it desirable to provide a default install for which SMTP AUTH
   against the password file works?

2) If yes to #1, is including the cyrus-sasl port in the base
   distribution the best way to get a SASL library?  [Included
   in this is license issues, code quality issues, etc.]  If it
   is not the best, is there a better choice?

At the end of the day, I think we are close to the right thing,
which means imap-ssl is easy to install from a port (and easy to
keep separate from the base system).  SMTP over SSL seems to already
be in the base system.  The only thing preventing a user from
running a "secure" SMTP/IMAP server from a base install, is the
lack of SMTP AUTH.  AFAIK, SASL is the only way to get that working,
and cyrus-sasl is the best (technically) library available.

At this time, I don't want to nit-pick on details, that can be done
off list.  What I'm really after is if there is support for making
SMTP AUTH work in the base install, and if my _general_ outline is
the right way to go about it.  There are more appropriate places
for the details.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org