Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 08:32:25 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 03:45:04AM +0200, Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:
> Reading helps for sure, I can't argue with that. However, a name such
> as -to-become-stable would help most to realize what really is with
> the first look).

This hangs on a badly chosen name.
Maybe "INTERIM" would be better.
From my experience "STABLE" has been for the most part worthy of it's
name, although certainly bugs have crept in sometimes. But I have a
small network, although often a fairly stressed one. The issue of
someone providing a service for 1000's of online users is of course
quite different. They are going to be hitting resource problems etc. in
a big way. I guess there is little opportunity for the developers to
actually emulate that kind of stress. I think the documentation does
make clear you run a risk with -STABLE.
Of course I could say that you get a responsiveness from the FreeBSD
team that greatly exceeds that of any of the many commercial versions of
UNIX and other OS'es I have worked on.
Those of you who used to work on DEC systems may remember what became
their notorious response to problem reports:

"Your problem has been noted and may be fixed in a future release".

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson