Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 15:08:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Accton EN2216 PCMCIA

Ian Huang writes:

 > > Tell me how it goes, somebody told me this was broken...
 >
 > I've done FreeBSD installation over parallel cable several times without
 > any problem. The transfer rate is around 80K/sec which is nothing compared
 > to ethernet but it works well. However it does take up quite a lot of CPU
 > power.

I have also done 3 laplink installs.  For it to work, I needed to have
a mirror of the FBSD distribution on the local computer.  Even after
that, it took trial and error to figure out the correct FTP URL.  The
install script expects something like ftp://host/dir and the
distribution is in a directory with the distribution name, as in
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ and a distribution named
"2.2.5-RELEASE".  This may be obvious in retrospect, but the errors
don't help a bit.  (Come to think of it, this is not specific to
laplink, but is perhaps more commonly encountered because you're not
directly connected to the Internet like you probably are with an
ethernet card, and are relying on a mirrored copy.)  I was never able
to get laplink to route to the rest of the internet via its peer.  I
posted about this many months ago, but could never solve it.

-d