Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:49:18 +0100
From:      Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
To:        "John R. Levine" <johnl@iecc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL 3 needed but how?

> Sounds like you'll have to do some debugging.  Try adding --verbose to
> mysql_args in /etc/rc.conf, and see the other advice in
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/starting-server.html

gw# /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --verbose
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/db/mysql/gw.sznet.pid
110326 16:44:14  mysqld ended

The data directory is correct. I don't understand why it is stopping
immediatelly after startup.

Trying the other way around (FreeBSD 6.4 on a virtual machine)

> It may be something really simple, like the mysql data directory not
> being where the server expects it to be.

believed to be clean.