Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:14:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@james.hwcn.org, jseger@freebsd.scds.com
Subject:   Re: how many tk version do oyu need...

> > unlike make/gmake, the bloat with tk is very large since it installs a
> > ton of files, and emulation is not really a ppossibility (or, at least,
> > unless tk has a backward compatible mode... but i doubt it..
>
> Just to head this crap off right here, the "bloat" for a single tk
> version is about one megabyte.  Let's contrast this with thirty-odd
> megabytes for emacs or more than sixty for xemacs.

I don't care about size, but mess in the filesystem disturbs me a lot.

You are right, tk4.2 is about 1MB of library binaries, another meg
in /usr/local/lib/tk4.X, plus perhaps half a meg of manpages (maybe
more). But this is about 400 (yes four hundred) files. A single
20MB file would bother me much less.  Of course you have to add
the corresponding tcl version (more or less same size, and some
200-odd files).

The worse part: the manpages for these versions go all in the same
place, so you'll get (part of) the old ones overwritten.

> Looking at it from another angle, it costs you about ten US cents per
> tk version, as opposed to about six dollars for Xemacs.

oh yes... never installed emacs... i started using FreeBSD with a 250MB
disk and decided sources were more precious than emacs.

> This is turning into another Boggle-esque argument.  8(

i managed to stay out of that one... :)

	cheers
	luigi