Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:45:56 -0800
From:      Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to rewrite the data field replaceable unit?

[ FreeBSD 3.0 Release ]
I have a scsi disk with two unreadable blocks.  The error messages
generated by the kernel include this:

   (da2:ahc0:0:2:0) Unrecovered read error - recommend rewrite the data field replaceable unit: 20 sks:80,a0

I would like to follow the recommendation.  How do I rewrite the data
field replaceable unit?  What exactly is a data field replaceable unit?

I did check with 'camcontrol modepage -m 1 -P 3' and confirmed that the
values of AWRE and ARRE are both 1.  So the SCSI disk is already doing
all the bad block mapping that it can.

No response from freebsd-questions, hence I try here.

Also, after I sent the above message, I tried using the 'badsect'
program.  The partition containing the bad blocks is a ccd device, so I
did:

   cd /<topdir of ccd filesystem>
   mkdir BAD
   badsect BAD n ...

where the list of bad blocks was as reported by fsck.  One of the bad
blocks did get converted into a file, but for the rest, 'badsect'
reported that it was a non-data area and could not be attached.

So now I have a ccd filesystem with some bad blocks that can't be
collected by badsect, but which do generate read errors during normal
operation.  Is there any workaround for this?

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>