Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 18:19:39 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Project Truck '98

> Morning all......................

G'day!

> >> Barometric pressure, moisture (as long as we're dreaming ;)
>
> Important for carb adjustments and great just to know anyway.

Oh, carby.  _That_ stock, hmm.  8)

> > Even a cheap accelerometer is easy to look after.
>
> I think I was reading an article a year or so ago in Circuit Cellar about
> some guy who made one of these for his Saab 9000. I will have to find it.

If you can do DGPS, an accelerometer's only good for improving your
peak readings (DGPS will still only give you per-second or so
resolution).

> I would like top thank you all for such a great response. This should prove
> to be an interesting project as it progresses. My apologies to anybody who
> might not find this 100% pertinent to this group.

If they don't, we can discourage them. 8)

> wait a while before we contact them. If all goes well on our end we should
> have carbon-fiber driveshafts and extrude-honed heads/manifolds, US Gear
[... stuff ...]

Hah.  So much for a budget exercise!

> Interesting point.....When G.M. was promoting their extensively and I mean
> extensively modified Cyclone pick-up several years ago out at Bonneville
> the engineers discovered something. As the pick-up got up around 200 mph
> they lost radio contact with their vehicle. The later figured out that at
> those speeds on the salt flats a static shield envelopes the vehicle. I
> hate when that happens :) They probably could have thrown a 75' piece of
> wire out the window and had it work fine though.

True.  Also possible that just shifting frequency might help, but short
of finding something to run 300+K's on Lake Eyre, I can't actually
suggest anything as a solution.  This may also upset your GPS,
depending on the nature of the field.

> Thanx for the info on the Bosche stuff, the next project race vehicle will
> be an A-21 Fuel (45% water, naphtha and the rest is gas) conversion on a
> 1987 Audi Quattro. But one scraped knuckle at a time.

Ow! Ow! Ow!  If you have a spare one of those left in road condition,
please to be letting me know so as I can dream about owning it... 8)

mike