Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:08:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
Cc:        faq@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel config out of date

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Sameer R. Manek wrote:

> Handbook maintainer
>
> I noticed that FreeBSD's 2.2.8 LINT file defines ptys
> can go as high as 256, yet the documentation on
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook63.html#141
> says that there is a limit of 64.
>
> pseudo-device   pty     16      #Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 256

This is in section 5.3.10.  I'll thwack accordingly; done.

> And in
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook61.html#139

== 5.3.8

It's better to say what section number rather than the URL since the URLs
are autogenerated daily and usually move around.  It also helps us find
what file to hack.

> the device xl0 isn't listed, it's for the following according to
> LINT as well
> # The `xl' driver provides support for the 3Com 3c900, 3c905 and
> # 3c905B (Fast) Etherlink XL cards and integrated controllers. This
> # includes the integrated 3c905B-TX chips in certain Dell Optiplex and
> # Dell Precision desktop machines and the integrated 3c905-TX chips
> # in Dell Latitude laptop docking stations.

This section is due for super-upgrades since Bill Paul went buck wild and
imported 5 Ethernet drivers (or so) into -current.

I committed a note for the xl driver.

Doug White