Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:10:43 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 20:22:18 -0800, Michael Smith wrote:
> > > If you were really masochistic, you could probably get all of Compaq's
> > > monitoring goo for your machine running under Linux emulation, but I
> > > suspect it'd be a job of work.
> >
> > What sort of hardware is on these controllers anyway?  (i.e. what kind of
> > processor, do they have a parity engine, etc.)
>
> "it varies"  I've heard tales of at least three different hardware
> platforms; I have two myself, one is the LSI 1015 (dual U160 + ARM7 on a
> chip), the other is a custom Compaq blob which is, I think, a PowerPC,
> and some variants of this I've seen have other Compaq blobs which could
> well include a parity engine.

I heard a rumor that IBM has designed their own Ultra160 core, and that
Compaq is using some integrated IBM RAID chip.  That's probably it.
Interesting.  (If you look at the IBM Microelectronics web site in a back
corner somewhere they claim to have a SCSI core.)

> As controllers go, they seem to be a bit of a mixed bag.  Basic behaviour
> and performance isn't abominable (though as you've pointed out, I appear
> to be letting them down badly), but from what the Y! people have said,
> some units behave differently from others. 8/

It looks like their top end board is the 5304 -- it claims to have a parity
engine I think.

It'll be interesting to see how fast those boards go once you get multiple
transactions going to them.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry