Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:51:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      youshi10@u.washington.edu
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: parallel builds revisited

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, David Ne=C4=8Das (Yeti) wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 05:10:47PM +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
>> Peter Pentchev p=C3=AD=C5=A1e v p=C3=A1 13. 04. 2007 v 18:06 +0300:

>>> IMHO, hardcoding the number of jobs in the port's Makefile would not
>>> be the best approach.  I think a port should only flag whether it
>>> supports parallel building at all or not - and leave the number of jobs
>>> to either the ports framework or the administrator's choice.
>>
>> That was just an example. You can do
>>
>> USE_MAKE_JOBS=3D=09yes
>>
>> for autoscaling perfectly well. For details, see the patch I linked.
>
> The patch gives no reason for such hardcoding, it just
> implements it.  How many ports exist that can fail with N+1
> jobs yet cannot break with N jobs (for N > 1)?
>
> Yeti
>
> --
> http://gwyddion.net/

My opinion is that there should be a threshold value empirically derived by=
 the developer / retrieved by bug reports, as well as a knob, to specify th=
e maximum number of parallel jobs to be used for a particular port, that wa=
y you don't get people accidentally specifying, say 10 jobs when it can onl=
y handle 2-3.

Doing that should decrease the amount of time people have to spend fishing =
through bug reports for minute information, and decrease the failure encoun=
tered by end users going all out trying to run as many jobs as possible on =
a given port.

-Garrett