Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2014 17:57:21 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD jail versus VMWare? What services do YOU run in a jail?
References:  <CAFS4T6apJ30_WPrV3-azuwr5LHFE8htEk5a_xqe7DRZ7Wy5XqQ@mail.gmail.com> <53580129.5010909@ssimicro.com> <CAHieY7SViGaVXXK2CxQEuiTUZMA4EfrUVn_BdB-PHvoJiUjzaA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJYdwgUq=2s1sL=1EdEQYs=3Gv2ikrSP34kpvtQH%2BfNSedPkHA@mail.gmail.com> <033901cf603f$55a1ffc0$00e5ff40$@FreeBSD.org> <535A468D.7080006@a1poweruser.com> <20140425120532.GB89790@admin.sibptus.tomsk.ru> <535A9154.4010205@a1poweruser.com>

Fbsd8 wrote:

> >> As the number of running jails increase the
> >> difficultly of managing them also increases. ezjail has no provisions
> >> to address this problem. qjail on the other hand is designed from the
> >> ground floor to simplify the administration of large scale jail
> >> environments [1 to 2000+ jails].
> >
> > Where can I read more about the unique and advanced features of qjail
> > missing in ezjail?
>
> I have never come across a feature comparison between the two. But qjail
> is a fork of an old ezjail-3.1 version so much of the feel is the same.
>
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/qjail/pkg-descr?revision=HEAD
> This link is a good place to start, then pkg install qjail & ezjail and
> read their man pages for the details your looking for.

I am looking for someone to persuade me that qjail is in any way
superior to ezjail which I am already using :-) If qjail has some killer
feature, I am ready to look at it, but I must know why I should invest
my time into learning qjail.

> > I am especially interested in features which help update and upgrade
> > multiple jails and software therein.
> >
> > I must admit it's a bit of PITA in ezjail when it comes to upgrading
> > third party software. I have set up a pkg repository for that purpose,
> > but still I have to visit each jail individually and run "pkg upgrade"
> > from inside.
> >

> jail updates is really 2 different arenas. You have the update of the
> host system binaries and the update of ports.
>
> ezjail relies on the old "make buildworld" method.

Sorry, your information is outdated. ezjail supports binary upgrades
via freebsd-update.

> The second arena is updating your installed ports. Before 10.0 and pkgng
> this was always a time consuming task.

 From the point of view of using pkgng, I don't see why I should
prefer qjail to ezjail, they seem the same.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru