Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2014 18:37:24 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg add: howto force the installation of a binary package?

--Sig_/JdAM9YHFvDpvUzm5AU43s81

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 18:01:44 +0200
Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 05:24:12PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> >=20
> > Since this ever-fragile FreeBSD port editors/libreoffice fails on 11-CU=
RRENT and
> > 9.2-STABLE to compile (it fails on fours systems running the named flav=
ours of OS), I
> > try to install the binary package via pkg add. But, very funny, I recei=
ve always the
> > error:
> >=20
> > pkg: Missing dependency matching Origin: 'net/openldap24-client' Versio=
n: '2.4.39'
> >=20
> > The port in question is already installed, but I have=20
> >=20
> > pkg info -ox openldap
> > openldap-sasl-client-2.4.39 net/openldap24-sasl-client
> >=20
> > This is fun. I tried to find the magical "force" knob in pkg-add to ove=
rride such
> > (insane) restrictions, but I didn't find any.
> >=20
> > Is there a regular way to install the port by force without checking fo=
r the
> > dependency? It seems that pkgng allows only installations of ports that=
 do not dare
> > to have different options than the standard defined in the binary packa=
ge
> > expectations?
> >=20
> > Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
> >=20
> > Oliver
> >=20
> > P.S. Please CC me.
>=20
> From pkg-add(8)
>=20
>      -M  Force the installation of the package with missing dependencies.
>=20

Strange, on=20

FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r264364: Sat Apr 12 10:34:56 CEST 2014 amd64

I get this:

root@thor: [All] man pkg-add
PKG-ADD(8)              FreeBSD System Manager's Manual             PKG-ADD=
(8)

NAME
     pkg add -- Registers a package and installs it on the system

SYNOPSIS
     pkg add [-IAfq] pkg-name ...
     pkg add [-IAfq] <protocol>://<path>/<pkg-name> ...

DESCRIPTION
     pkg add installs packages from either a local source or a remote one.

     When installing from a remote source you need to specify the protocol =
     use when fetching the package.

     Currently supported protocols are FTP, HTTP and HTTPS.

     Otherwise, pkg add will read the file named on the command line.

     If this is a regular file, and the package to be installed has unmet
     dependencies, pkg add will search the directory containing pkg-name for
     suitable pkg archive files to fulfill those dependencies.  If pkg-name=
 is
     literally - then it will read the package data from stdin.  pkg add wi=
ll
     automatically detect and unpack most common compression formats based =
on
     the content of the data stream it reads, ignoring any extension the fi=
le-
     name may have.

     If this involves reading from a pipe (including stdin), fifo, socket or
     some other non-regular form of input stream then pkg add will immediat=
ely
     emit an error if pkg-name has unmet dependencies.

OPTIONS
     The following options are supported by pkg add:

     -I  If any installation scripts (pre-install or post-install) exist for
         given packages, do not execute them.

     -A  Mark the installed packages as orphan.  Will be automatically remo=
ved
         if no other packages depend on them.  For more information please
         refer to pkg-autoremove(8)

     -f  Force the reinstallation of the package if already installed.

     -q  Force quiet output.

ENVIRONMENT
     The following environment variables affect the execution of pkg add.  =
See
     pkg.conf(5) for further description.

     ASSUME_ALWAYS_YES

     HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS

     PKG_DBDIR

FILES
     See pkg.conf(5).

SEE ALSO
     pkg.conf(5), pkg(8), pkg-annotate(8), pkg-audit(8), pkg-autoremove(8),
     pkg-backup(8), pkg-check(8), pkg-clean(8), pkg-config(8), pkg-convert(=
8),
     pkg-create(8), pkg-delete(8), pkg-fetch(8), pkg-info(8), pkg-install(8=
),
     pkg-lock(8), pkg-query(8), pkg-register(8), pkg-repo(8), pkg-rquery(8),
     pkg-search(8), pkg-set(8), pkg-shell(8), pkg-shlib(8), pkg-stats(8),
     pkg-update(8), pkg-updating(8), pkg-upgrade(8), pkg-version(8),
     pkg-which(8)

FreeBSD 11.0                  September 22, 2013                  FreeBSD 1=
1.0