Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 1995 00:26:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      JOHN <JSINNOTT@POMONA.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE CDROM - installation of 2.1.0 RELEASE

Well, I tried both the inst_ide.bat and atapiflp.bat methods to try to install
FreeBSD from my 4x CDROM drive (NEC).  But it was not detected.  So I used the
"-c" option at the boot prompt, selected the visual process, and got rid of all
conflicts that I could see.  That left two isa IDE devices, wdc0 and wdc1.
After continuing, wdc1 is detected, whereas normally just wdc0 is listed as my
hard drive and wdc1 is not detected.  So I thought, maybe?  But no luck, the
installation still did not detect my CDROM.  Is the IDE CDROM kkkernl so new
that I should consider myself SOL with an IDE CDROM, or being an extreme newbie
to FreeBSD, are there other options I can try.  PLEASE! :)  I want to figure
this out.
As a side not, in a few weeks I will have access to an ethernet connection to
the internet.  If I can not get the CDROM to work, how fast can I expect the
FTP installation to be?  Yes, I know, depends upon bandwidth/usage, but is it
really a practical way to install FreeBSD?

Thanks for anything and everything!
John