Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 02:22:28 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sony Vaio PCG-R505* advice

..don't bother installing -CURRENT.  Its pc-card/cardbus code is
broken on the Vaio PCG-R505* (installed on Dec. 16 from
snapshots.jp.FreeBSD.org).  I just confirmed a little earlier
today that it works OK on 4.4-RELEASE.  I'm using a SMC 2632W
Prism2 802.11b card courtesy of 4.4R.

All efforts I could make (knowing absolutely nothing about the
FreeBSD kernel and/or pccard code) to get the pccard/cardbus
stuff work (kept getting errors about reading the wrong amount of
data regardless of where I pointed pccardd at in memory) failed.
4.4R, on the other hand, worked out of the box.

It's a Sony Vaio PCG-R505JL, to be exact.  It has a Ricoh
RL5C475 PCI-CardBus bridge.

SY,
--
wca