Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:32:11 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        XFree86@XFree86.org, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp starting without reason...

At 12:00 PM 4/21/98 -0400, BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:

>> Squid is a SW which will provide cache for your and other ppl browsing the
>> internet.
>
>Sorry for my ignorance again but what is SW and ppl?

I beg your pardon, fellow. We are using some Internet abbreviation here,
supposing that it is common sense.

ppl= people

SW=software

>> See if you have a file called squid.sh under /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>
>No, I don't. The directory contains:
>apache.sh
>arowatch.sh
>bb.sh
>fingerd.sh.sample
>hylafax.sh.sample
>lprng.sh
>

>> find / -name squid
>
>There is no file named squid in all my / tree!
>It's got to be something else... I feel more like it is that xinit is
>trying to find the server on the remote end, instead of on this side... It
>seems it can't find my own X server.

Ok, easy here... Slow down.

If you can't find squid, squid was not installed. good.

Now you have a couple of other programs there which may be trying to make
access to the Internet.

Try removing all of those files from rc.d - and make sure you save them
somewhere else; You will need to put them back.

Leave only one of those files in the rc.d directory and restart your
computer by using

shutdown -r now

Now, you said your ppp is starting w/o (without) reason, but I can't see
the file that starts your ppp at rc.d. Are you starting it by hand ?

Anyway, what you have to do here is to test each of those files at rc.d and
see which of them is starting your ppp link.

I don't think it has something to do with your X server.

"not square" image with my Xserver, and,

hmmmmm... happened to me once. Problems with frequences, in the monitor. I
was told that you will have to edit your X configuration files and manualy
enter your monitor's horizontal and vertical frequences for each resolution
to get it working correctly.

You should be able to find the frequences at your monitor's manual, or with
your manufacturer.

Warning !!! Wraning !!! A wrong number may cause you monitor to fry ! I
mean you can damage your monitor if you enter a wrong number (higher than
it should be).

I think it didn't help much, but it is my contribution...