Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:56:06 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Rem Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
Subject:   Re: Xorg Problems

> I'm having trouble with xorg on a new 8.1 installation.  I haven't installed a wm yet, but when I try to call up the generic x windows by typing "startx" they do indeed appear, but all three of the x windows are locked up.  By that I mean that there is no mouse, and no possibility of entering data in the windows via the keyboard.  Totally frozen.  And you can't get out of x in the usual manner i.e. ctrl-alt-backspace.  The only thing that works is ctrl-alt-del which, of course, reboots the computer.  Any ideas are appreciated.

> Rem

I had that problem too, looked extensively for possible answers, and one that worked was

Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"

Now I can't remember if it was "AllowEmptyInput (no spaces) or "Allow Empty Input" but would think the former; am in Linux as I type this and didn't need that line in that xorg.conf .

Synonyms for "false" are "0" "off" "no"
Antonyms are "true" "1" "on" "yes"

I got Xfce 4.6.1, built from the FreeBSD meta port, to work.

I think initially startx is set to start twm, a spartan window manager that is included with xorg.

Tom