Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:56:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
To:        "Jeremy Domingue" <jer@hughes.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

jer@hughes.net (Jeremy Domingue) writes:

| 1) First and foremost, I am wondering what issues I will face being a user
| very accustomed to linux. I know there will be differences between linux and
| FreeBSD, but can anyone outline some of the major ones?

The big difference is this:

	Linux is an operating system for PC hardware that closely emulates
	Unix.

	FreeBSD *is* Unix, optimized for PC hardware.

As a result, you're going to have a lot more consistency and stability using
FreeBSD.  For example, here's the result of my "uptime" command:

	 2:51PM  up 151 days,  4:45, 4 users, load averages: 1.25, 1.04, 1.14

| 2) Is there a way I can install FreeBSD without losing all of the stuff on
| the server right now such as user files, web pages, programs, etc? And
| possibly keep linux on there somewhere in case I ever decide to go back?

Unfortunately, you're probably better off backing up the server, then doing
whatever repartitioning you need to, and then restoring.  Fortunately, I
believe the dump formats are compatible between Linux and FreeBSD.

| 3) Is anyone using SMP on FreeBSD with an Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI
| controller? Linux people keep telling me that this is not a good
| configuration for Linux... how about for FreeBSD?

Well, in fact, freebsd.org is running one of those; paddock is a 200MHz Pentium
Pro with 32MB RAM, an AHC 7880 on-board SCSI controller, a 9GB SCSI WIDE drive,
and an on-board Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B.

| 4) I know that the current build of FreeBSD is listed as development and
| should not be used in a mission critical environment, however, what are
| people's experiences with it so far? If it seems to be fairly stable, I would
| be willing to give it a shot... I really need the SMP support.

I can't provide enlightenment on this one; I've been wary of using 3.x yet.
There are a bunch of people that are pretty happy with it, but it is going to
lend some instability to your machine.

| 5) Are there any other problems or issues I may face with my hardware
| configuration (listed below)?
|
| Gateway (formerly ALR) NS-7000 Server
| Dual PII 266mhz
| 512mb EDO ECC SDRAM (all from the same lot, same manufacturer)
| Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI controller
| 3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card
| 2-4.1gb IBM SCSI hard drives

That's going to be a lovely machine.  Getting the kernel configured properly
may provide a challenge, but I think you'll handle it just fine.

							---Ken