Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 16:08:03 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: Should /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC's SysV shared memory settings defaults  be re-thought?

If I may comment on my desktop experience... I have been running
E+gnome, with the usual netscape/xemacs/mailer combination for a good
while now, on a Pentium 166Mhz with 32M but around 100-150Mb or swap.

Never had problems with SHM.

I stopped using E because, well, it's not made for a 166Mhz. :)

[Now if that darn hub.freebsd.org rejects my mail again...]

A.

John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> David Wolfskill wrote:
> >
> > >Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 12:01:40 -0700
> > >From: John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
> >
> > >After finally getting Amanda up and running on my system, I noticed that
> > >my cron jobs for amdump would crash with an error in SHMGET if X was
> > >running when the amdump job was scheduled.  I have also been plagued by
> > >IMLIB SHM memory allocation errors.  I have just discovered that, by
> > >increasing the defaults for all the SysV settings listed in LINT, I have
> > >been able to make all those errors disappear; and Amanda will now run to
> > >completion even with X running.  I increased all these settings by about
> > >a factor of x8--remembering that in OS/2 half of all physical memory was
> > >made available for shared memory operations--giving me 32 megs of shared
> > >memory.
> >
> > Hmmm....

> > >Thoughts?
> >
> > I find this somewhat surprising, since I've been backing up not only the
> > servers here, but also the important desktops (the ones running FreeBSD)
> > on engineers' desks here for around 2.5 years using amanda.  And the
> > engineers generally run X... but I've never encountered that problem.
> > (Before the shared memory stuff was included in GENERIC, I included it
> > manually in the kernels when I set up their machines.  I just left the
> > default settings alone.)
> >
> Even with just GNOME+Enlightenment running, stderr is full of IMLIB
> error messages unless I alter the SysV parameters.  Xsreensaver also
> triggers what look like shared memory errors with some of the modules.
> Netscape (a known memory-hog in any configuration) also generates these
> errors.  They generally aren't fatal (everything seems to work o.k.),
> but I'm glad they're gone now . . .
>
> > I suppose it may depend on the particular X workload; for example, I use
> > tvtwm as a window manager, while I understand that some folks prefer the
> > appearance or behavior of a window manager that is a bit more resource-
> > intensive.
>
> I'm using GNOME+Enlightenment with a smattering of KDE tools (I like
> KNode) . . .
>
> > I do tend to kick "maxusers" up a bit; I have it set to 128 on my
> > laptop.  I haven't checked to see if that affects such things as shared
> > memory availability....  (I also tend to be fairly generous with swap
> > space:  I prefer to avoid swapping, but if the system really needs to
> > swap, I much prefer letting it do so to preventing that.)
>
> Yes, I've also punched up MAXUSERS to 128, but that didn't fix things .
> . . so then I tried the SysV settings, they worked . . . .  YMMV.
>
> jmc
>
> > Cheers,
> > david
> > --
> > David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
> > Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823

La sémantique est la gravité de l'abstraction.