Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:15:29 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DUPLICATE mail in mbox

This is for the shell script/perl gurus:

I have this client who runs a mailer daemon called MDaemon from Deerfield.com.
The funny thing that has happened is that the client received some large mail
and his mailbox grew so much. Whenever Mdaemon pops mail from uor server, it does not
complete the POP-ping because kinda the line gets disconnected (they have some very
noisy lines) - but this also results into a funny phenomena where we end up with
each of the messages having a duplicate. I think it is something to do with locking
on the mailbox, which is never removed because the POP-ping process terminates.
Now I have a mailbox of 80MB, mostly of duplicate messages. It is in mbox format
and it would be so time consummung to use something like Elm to start deleting the
duplicate mails by hand.

I hope one of the gurus has a script solution for this. Each mail does have
a unique message-id whenever it is delivered. I hope someone can use this to prune
the mbox via some shell/perl script, which is what I'm looking for.

TIA

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

No great intellectual thing was ever done by great effort. -John Ruskin