Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 15:07:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        (Ryugen C. Fisher) <Ryugen@palaver.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: $CVSROOT

On 04-Apr-00 Ryugen C. Fisher wrote:
> Rudeness was not an intention...... humor was... note, please, the doubt
> about ability was SELF directed....
>

> At 06:59 PM 04/03/2000, you wrote:
>>Ryugen C. Fisher wrote:
>>
>> > I'm trying to get to the place where I can do a "make world"  and I'm
>> > having serious doubts about my ability to read English.. perhaps someone
>> > raised in England might lend a hand????
>>
>>Being rude is NOT the best way to make people want to help you.  Neither
>>is forgetting to cc -questions when you reply.
>>
>>Anyway, I'm not sure why CVSROOT has anything to do with "make
>>world", you do not need a CVS repository to make the world.  All you
>>need is a checked out copy of the source tree in /usr/src.  While
>>this MAY be obtained using cvs (which you need CVSROOT pointing at
>>your copy of the repository for), it is common to use cvsup for
>>this.  Take a look at "Synchronizing Your Source" in the FreeBSD
>>Handbook for more information, or the sample cvsup supfiles under
>>/usr/share/examples/cvsup.

In short: edit the stable-supfile in /usr/share/examples/cvsup: Make it
point to a cvsup-server near you. (I use cvsup.se.freebsd.se for example).

This the essential lines of mine:

*default host=cvsup.se.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix
src-all

Having done that, and assuming you got X running:
# cvsup /usr/share/examples/stable-supfile
will get a window up. Click start or whatever and it should start pumping new
src into the veins of your machine.

(I also misunderstood user ncvs and $CVSROOT for a start)
Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail
running on FreeBSD 3.4